Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Favorite Short Story

In the unit of short stories, there were three main stories, my favorite one though was Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl. The plot was very interesting with how you would think everything would be all right and then something happened, the climax kept changing, everyone getting more and more excited. However, the characterization is the most intriguing to me because all of the characters didn't seem what you would expect them to be. Mrs. Maloney looked innocent and nice but turned out to be possessive and manipulative, also for me, Sgt. Noonan didn't seem like he was either. I expected Jack Noonan to be suspicious of Mrs. Maloney for a long time but he seemed trapped in her innocence and didn't think anything of her other than she had suffered a terrible loss. All in all, Lamb to the Slaughter demonstrated the question, what makes a good story?

3 comments:

Anh said...

I like "Lamb To The Slaughter" too! Although it's not my favorite story but I love the way the author create Mary Maloney such a intelligent character. I found it really interesting how she tricked all the police!

Yi said...

I agree that Lamb to the Slaughter was an amazing story, even though I liked the plot more than the characterization. I thought the characters were intriguing but not as much as the plot. Even so, I thought it was an interesting interpretation.

Nabilah said...

I like "Lamb to the Slaughter", even though I liked the characterization than the plot. I like the way Roald Dahl create Mary Maloney characterization.